Friday, September 4, 2009

DIY Solar Energy - How to Build Your Own Cheap Solar Panels

Its no secret that solar energy has seen a resurgence in popularity in recent times.

With increasing power costs and decreasing incomes in these unstable economic times people are looking for ways to save some of their hard earned and increasingly hard to come by dollars by slashing their power bills.

One of the long standing problems with employing solar energy for out energy consumption needs is the large initial expense we must out lay to have a solar energy system installed (this cost is often in the high thousands of dollars).

It was with this in mind I set out on a journey to try to discover a way to build cheap solar panels.

I fired up Google and entered "cheap solar panels" in the search field and proceeded to be amazed by the number of search results, there were literally hundreds of companies selling guides to build your own homemade cheap solar panels.

The First link I clicked through lead to a page that proclaimed to have a simple step by step guide to building your own cheap solar panels for under $200!. After a bit of humming and haring I figured I would give it a try. I downloaded the guide, printed it out and headed off to the hardware store. Some 20 minutes later I walked out of the store armed with materials that came to the total of a tad over $200 (the price you pay for living in a small town).

Over the course of the next week, in my spare time, I put together my very own solar panels. The process was relatively painless for a DIY project and I recruited my youngest son, which made the process a breeze and a lot of fun. The guide was very informative, set out in a manual type of format, that included a lot of clearly drawn diagrams and photos as well as videos from the vendors site.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the whole experience, I've bought things online before only to find they fail to deliver what they promise, but in this case it was an easy and painless process that fulfilled its promises, I now run several appliances off solar energy, including the laptop I'm typing this up on, and intend to add a lot more, the sense of freedom you get from knowing that your energy usage is unmetered and free is very satisfying. Perhaps one of the best things that result from building my own cheap solar panels was the awareness it raised in my son, he now drives us crazy with telling us off for leaving the lights on when we have left the room!.

If your reading this article you more than likely are looking into ways to build cheap solar panels, my advice to you would be not to hesitate, it really is s fun and educational experience you can share with the whole family, not to mention the fact you are doing your bit to help the environment. The following link will take you to a site with reviews of DIY solar power kits as well as a plethora of information on solar energy. Cheap Solar Panels guide.

If your serious about saving money on your energy bill and you want to do your bit for the environment, check out the following link DIY Solar Power Kits reviewed.

Jon Elsdon is a Solar Energy Consultant and Environmentalist. Jon is editor of DIY Solar Power

No comments: